Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Technology and Social Interaction


               As society becomes increasingly “wired in” and uses Internet technologies more and more frequently, concern has arisen regarding just what kind of effect this technology is having on our ability to interact socially. While increased access to technology has expanded our social circles and means of communication with one another, one could also make the case that it has expanded our relationships in the digital world at the price of our interactions in the physical world. Personally, I can definitely make a case for how my relationships have benefitted from these technologies. The ability to text, call, Facebook, or e-mail friends and family who live far away has allowed me to keep in touch with people who I otherwise probably would have lost contact with. However, I would also say that I tend to be less likely to use texting or Facebook solely in order to maintain my relationships – if I want to have a “real” conversation with someone, I’m much more likely to call them or Skype with them than anything else, because I’m better at face-to-face or voice-to-voice interactions than I am with text-driven mediums. I find that without a sense of tone or seeing the person’s facial expressions, I get stressed out and have difficulty figuring out how to interpret and then respond to a text or Facebook message. I don’t know to what extent this is true for others, though. Definitely, the Internet has given people who otherwise might be shy or uncomfortable in social interactions a means of communicating and having a voice in a low-stress and somewhat anonymous environment. For people who suffer from a handicap or social stigma that they feel prevents them from leaving the home to engage in traditional social interactions, Facebook or online chatrooms could be a great means of forming relationships that they otherwise would be unable to make. 

            It’s important to keep in mind, however, that while this ability to interact and find a voice can be beneficial and meaningful, one should try not to become too reliant on these mediums to interact in a social setting. Online dating sites, gaming, or virtual worlds can be good ways to initiate relationships with others, but if users on these sites don’t ever extend their interactions beyond the computer screen, the real intimacy or legitimacy of the relationship can be called into question. Similarly, texting, e-mailing, and social networking can be an effective way to bolster relationships that are affected by distance or busy schedules, but when we’re constantly on the phone checking Facebook, Twitter, or texting, this hinders our ability to engage meaningfully with the conversation at hand and isolates us from one another. These technologies can open up opportunities to new, meaningful, relationships, but they can also damage these very relationships if we let our entire lives be directed by them. To summarize, I feel that our relationships with one another should be supplemented by technology, not limited by it. 

            I would say that, as a society, we already have some useful public forums that people can utilize to engage socially with one another in a physical space. Community programs such as local government meetings, local theater groups, farmer’s markets, athletic clubs, and other social groups exist where the demand or desire for them does. I think that as a society it would perhaps be more beneficial to encourage memberships in these community organizations in order to promote social interaction. By creating open and accepting communities in our physical locations, perhaps we can draw in individuals who would otherwise feel socially isolated or distinct from the group. Ultimately though, it comes down to the individuals who participate in these communities having the desire to interact in the real world rather than the virtual one.  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. Technology is here to help benefit our relationships with one another, not hinder us from having legitimate social interaction with one another. We have become dependent on technology and have adapted it to fit our every need. We can work out in front of the computer or tv, socialize online, date online, we have everything at our fingertips. Without any incentive to step away and seek human to human contact our society will begin to solely function over technological mediums.

    ReplyDelete